Wednesday, June 1

Opera

So I have been hearing a lot of opera lately. Maybe I have been channeling my inner Andrea Bocelli and Sarah Brightman (I forreal love that song though and it is on my Zune). Or maybe it is just because the spring opera is going on in the deJong on campus or maybe it is because I am sitting at work stage managing a voice recital and they are singing opera right now.

But listening to all this jazz (or opera) makes me think...why is it that if you sing with crazy vibrato and a big boisterous voice you have to sing in a different language? I mean Josh Groban has totally been bringing back the big voice with all of his lovely music which I adore. I mean I guess you don't really have to sing in a different language, but for people to really consider it opera they expect you to sing it in Italian or French.

And another thing, are the people that I am listening to that are singing this stuff aware of what they are singing? I'm sure that the professors make them go through and get the translations of what they are singing so they can put feeling into it...but I am sure that most of the people don't really speak the language of the opera they are singing. Or maybe they do. Or maybe they don't. Or maybe they do. If they ran into someone that spoke Italian though I bet they wouldn't understand anything that they said. Or maybe they would. Oy! Whatever. I just wonder things sometimes, don't you?

What I'm gettin' at is basically...classical singing is not really my thing. Kapish?

FYI. I absolutely adore Andrea Bocelli. He is adorable and is amazing.

2 comments:

  1. A quote about the use of foreign languages in operas from the book The Age of Innocence: "She[the opera singer] sang, of course, "M'ama!" and not "he loves me," since an unalterable and unquestioned law of the musical world required that the German text of the French opera sung by Swedish artists should be translated into Italian for the clearer understanding of English-speaking audiences."

    That is honestly one of my favorite quotes in all of English literature.

    ReplyDelete